From the Fremantle Herald, September 24 2022:
THE largest e-petition ever signed by WA residents has just closed, with more than 13,000 people calling upon the government to ban greyhound racing. These petitioners have requested WA’s government to:
• release greyhound racing from the sale of the TAB, and ban greyhound racing;
• allow a two-year phase out of the industry — there are only 20 West Australians who derive the majority of their income from this blood sport, so phasing it out is very achievable;
• assist industry participants in re-skilling;
• rehome all greyhounds; and,
• approve four breeders to continue as registered breeders for greyhounds as pets only.
Free The Hounds acknowledges the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia and recognises their continuing connection to land, waters and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures; and to elders both past and present.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity represented in our community. We welcome all people regardless of age, gender identity, ethnicity, ability, sexuality, faith, religion, and all other identities represented in our community.